Monday 10 January 2011

On the subject of inks.

What ink to use is a very personal choice, and there are many different companies producing inks in every colour imaginable (even UV light reactive invisible ink!).

I mostly use inks from two companies:
Diamine - an English ink company, based in Liverpool since 1925, but making inks since 1864.
J. Herbin - a French ink maker, based in Paris since 1670.

This is because they produce inks in a range of really nice shades that are free flowing and, most importantly, reasonably pH neutral so the shouldn't corrode the insides of my pens.

The only ink I have at present that is not from either of these companies is "Copper Burst" from private reserve which is a rich brown ink with coppery undertones and lovely shading.

My current favourite inks are as follows:
Diamine "Syrah" - like it's name suggests this is a wonderfully rich deep red wine hue.
J. Herbin "Poussiere de Lune" - "Moon dust". Not as its name would suggest, a grey ink, rather this is a glorious deep purple. Herbin say it's "the colour of the night sky when only the crescent moon is visible". Me? I just love it for the wonderful purple hue :)
J. Herbin "Vert Empire" - "Imperial Green", and what a lovely deep green it is too! Vive L'Empereur!
Diamine "Twilight" - a lovely blue-grey hue, reminiscent of darkening twilight sky.

I'll post colour swatches / writing samples with these inks once I have my scanner working again!

No comments:

Post a Comment